Monday, August 22, 2011

August 15th


Mommy, Dear Mommy,
Mission life is good.  Thanks for telling me about your seminary fireside. I love your concept for that talk! Thats the biggest thing we deal with is helping people understand that we're not coming into their homes to tear away their faith and throw it out the door. We want to help them build on that foundation. We INVITE others and thats all we can do as missionaries. I like that idea that the Holy Ghost brings things UNTO but not INTO your heart. That they can only get INTO your heart if you do the work and then let them in. Thats awesome about accountability for the seminary kids reading. I think that would be interesting to tell them that so they know that their nightly reading is something that Salt Lake, the Prophet wants to know about!
 
The weather just got crazy out here! We're looking out the door of the church right now and its practically flooding outside! I'll send some rain and puddle pictures too!
 
I can definitely tell how a mission would be AWFUL if you're being disobedient! If it weren't for the uplifting feelings I get from the spirit, I could NOT stay here. And the spirit will only be here if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm grateful for your guys' prayers, especially about me getting a good trainer! I couldn't have asked for a better trainer! Hes so obedient but hes friendly and loving and helping me be more healthy! I'm developing more patience and understanding! I felt so bad yesterday, we asked the Bishop if he could get us an Elders Quorum calander and he sighed, looked back and forth and said "Brethren, lets do it on Wednesday." We walked away and I said "So I guess the Bishop is the last person we should ask for things." I was grumpy because he wouldn't help us but Elder Christensen said "Only because hes so busy, its not fair to ask him to do things for us unless we absolutely have to. We should really only ask him for counsel." That totally hit me in the face! DUH! I felt so bad! Its exactly like how some people treat Dad and I felt awful! I just wanted to let Dad know that I'm sure there are a lot of people that take him for granted and don't even realize it! I know he's doing a good job and I'm so grateful for the hard work he puts in and I know Bishop Daniels here is a great man!
 
So my exchange was in Chambersburg, PA with Elder Gowdy. Hes hilarious! We were tracting and knocked on this door and this guy answered. His skin was sickly grey with splotches, he looked really dirty and he was ROCKING back and forth, staring at us. Elder Gowdy said "Would you like to hear a message about Jesus Christ" and the guy said "I don't believe like you do!" And Elder Gowdy said "Ok, well...do you know someone who would benefit from this message?" And the guy replied, "I would, he would, we would but I don't want it." And closed the door. As we were walking away, Elder Gowdy was stunned. "That guy can't be real." I thought it was very funny!
 
Speaking of funny stories, Elder Christensen and I volunteer at this Food Bank and we got invited to a luncheon for all the volunteers so I ordered a salad and he got something else. When the salad arrived, he stared unblinkingly as I proceeded to take the tomatoes, the crutons and the Bell Peppers off the salad. He stared at me, the salad and back at me. "Are you serious?!?! Everything that excites that meal...trashed!" We were laughing really hard and the elderly, retired volunteers watched us awkwardly.
 
Last thing, I promise I'm sending birthday cards to Dad and Shelby! I feel like its gonna be hard for me to stay on top of that since we only shop once a week! I need to plan ahead, but I promise I didn't forget! Happy birthday to them both and they will soon receive cards!
 
I think thats it, I love youins and I promise I'm doing smashingly!
 
Feel free to give my email address to anyone I guess. If anyone wants to write to me, they can. I have kept up that everyone that writes me does get a response and so far with email, I've done the same thing. But I don't promise everyone will ALWAYS get an email response but I will respond. Especially with letters!
 
Youins are awesome!
god speed
Onward and upward
Faith, hope, charity
Love one another
 
Sinceriously,
Elder Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment