Monday, August 22, 2011

August 8th


Ok, so we only had 3 investigators at church again. Same three. I think that first week with lots was just lucky. It was interesting. We feel like we worked super hard this week but our numbers don't reflect that. However, our first week we didn't work very hard and had appointments fall out of the sky. So I definitely feel strongly that numbers don't actually represent the work you do. But Seanna and her husband haven't been coming to church lately but she DID tell us that if she got an answer to her prayer, she would be baptized. Same thing with another woman named Trudy (OH MY GOSH, I LOVE THAT WOMAN). She needs an answer to her prayer, but yesterday we taught her about temples and eternal families and she started crying! Shes a hilarious woman and she super loves us! I'm gonna cry like a baby when she gets baptized! Shes amazing. Can you add her to your guys' prayers?
 
Also, sadly, Josh smoked again. And he hasn't been keeping very good contact with us lately which is really bad while hes trying to quit smoking but we're praying for him and hopefully hes still ok to get baptized...I don't know really. Hes been working more and we're just going to try as hard as we can. Greg's parents are super against him getting baptized and its been about two weeks since we saw him but we're meeting with him this week.
 
I leave today to go on my first exchange! Yay. I super love our District Leader. His name is Elder Gowdy. I definitely am excited to learn a lot and see another area's experience since I've only ever seen Waynesboro.
 
Speaking of which, Mom, if you want to look up the other missionaries in my district and see if their mom's are on missionary moms, feel free. Greg Gowdy, Jason Bluemel and Zach Dastrup.
 
Also, we went back to talk to this guy we had met while tracting who had had 6 deaths in 5 months and had no interest in a God but we basically talked to him for like 2 hours. He was still pretty stubborn and not super interested. But we feel like if he thinks at all about what we said, our message could REALLY help him. His name was J.D. and if you guys want to pray to soften his heart, I know we could really help him.
 
Oh! Some interesting things that have been happening here, I ate crab for the first time. Like...out of the crab. Like, step 1: snap off legs. Step 2: snap off shell. Step 3: remove intestines, lungs and fecal matter (I KNOW). Step 4: work tirelessly ripping off little pieces of hard shell for little flowers of crab meat. End result? You're still hungry and you're now surrounded by dozens of disembowled crabs staring at you...People who live by oceans are weird people.
 
Also, did you guys know that Mennonites have a yearly pilgrammage? Where every single one of them across the U.S. meets somewhere thats been planned ahead of time 3 years in advance?? Crazy stuff! Apparantly theres one happening around here soon, maybe I'll get to go. Elder Christensen are going to hopefully get to go to a civil war reenactment on Saturday with a member! Thats exciting! They have things like that out here!
 
Also, I was super bummed not to get a picture of this but I saw a man who was basically Grandpa Larsen but 6 times his size (big boy) riding a wheel chair down the street, super blinged out with a cockateil on his shoulder! I NEED a picture of that man. He's a neighborhood regular. It WILL happen.
 
Well...thats all I've got this time around! I'm super excited and everything is going well! Oh! Elder Christensen did indeed get your leter, didn't think it was weird! I'll definitely send home anything I don't need! Tell Dad we're going today to make copies of his scripture study guide and the Fruits of the Apostasy story (one for me and one for Elder Christensen) and then I wanted to send the originals home cause they're on old, typed paper and I think thats super cool and don't want to ruin them. I might also send home some of the mail I've gotten and stuff but probably nothing for awhile!
Oh! I almost forgot. Yesterday, we went to Kingdom Hall, which is Jehovah's Witness worship. We're trying to learn more about all the religions in the area and we decided to start there so we can know how to set ourselves apart when asked to do so. Sometime this week, we're hopefully going to get the opportunity to attend Catholic Mass with the non-member husband of one the members. Thats exciting!
I love you guys and I'm grateful for your prayers. I've only been on my mission for a month and a half!! Crazy stuff!!



 
I'll talk to you guys soon and I'll be on for a while! Love youguys
 
Elder Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment